Effective 26 November 2018 a range of changes are being implemented to post-study work rights for international students.
These changes include:
- remove the employer-assisted post-study work visas at all levels
- provide a 1-year Post-study open work visa for students studying Level 4 to 6 and non-degree Level 7 qualifications, with an additional year for Graduate Diploma graduates who are working towards registration with a professional or trade body
- provide a 2-year Post-study open work visa for students studying Level 4 to 6 and non-degree Level 7 qualifications outside Auckland, provided study is completed by December 2021, at which point the entitlement for post-study work rights reverts to a 1-year Post-study open work visa
- provide a 3-year Post-study open work visa for degree Level 7 or above qualifications
- require international students studying Level 8 qualifications to be in an area specified on the Long Term Skill Shortage list in order for their partner to be eligible for an open work visa.
Read more at immigration.govt.nz